2013/2014 Principality Premiership
Newport 52 v 28 Swansea
05 October 2013 - Rodney Parade, Newport

Match Report

Newport 52 Swansea 28

The Black and Ambers grabbed their first victory of the season with a resounding 52-28 win over Swansea at Rodney Parade.

The match was evenly fought up until 60 minutes before the home side took advantage of Whites’ errors to effectively end the contest.

It was the visitors who took the lead though with a Sam Davies penalty when a David Watts break forced the home defence offside.

Three minutes later the scores were equal when the Swansea defence were caught offside to allow full back Geraint O’Driscoll a simple penalty goal.

Swansea began to look dangerous in attack and quick ball out of the scrum saw centre Aled Jenkins race through the middle and fire out a pass to full back Nicky Thomas, who scored in the corner. Sam Davies converted.

Newport winger Elliot Frewen chased a chip through, which Jenkins failed to deal with, giving away a penalty. The home side opted to chip to touch and a well worked lineout saw hooker Dale Rogers squeeze over at the corner. O’Driscoll missed his conversion attempt.

Whites prop Aled Mason charged through the middle and found Nicky Thomas running at pace, but the Newport defence crept offside in midfield. Sam Davies was successful with his kick at goal.

The fly half had another penalty chance a minute later from halfway after Newport were guilty of taking a player out without the ball, but his effort sailed wide of the post.

Scrum half James Leadbeater began a Newport counterattack and was supported by Frewen and Ashton Hewitt, but the Swansea defence illegally dived over the top of the ruck to bring an end to the move.

Newport kicked to touch with the penalty and from the lineout the ball was swept out wide with fly half Matt O’Brien crashing over to score in the corner. O’Driscoll converted.

The home side began to gain the upper hand at the breakdown and a forwards’ rumble to the line saw prop Dai Pattison claim a try. O’Driscoll again converted.

A powerful run by hooker Paul John caused panic in the Newport defence and Sam Davies provided support for Jenkins to make a break and hand a scoring pass to flanker Sam Pailor. Sam Davies converted.

On the stroke of half time Hewitt came close to scoring a try but his side had to settle for an O’Driscoll penalty goal after the Whites were caught offside in defence.

Half-time:-   Newport   25   Swansea   20

Almost immediately after the restart Swansea cut the deficit to two points with a Sam Davies penalty after half breaks by flanker Mathew Davies and John forced the home side to kill the ball.

O’Driscoll kicked a penalty of his own just four minutes later when Swansea were penalised for an illegal one-handed tap down to prevent an attack.

Deliberate offside by lock Rhodri Hughes saw him forced to spend ten minutes on the sidelines, and gifting O’Driscoll another three points.

A penalty was reversed in Newport’s favour for a high tackle, but from the lineout second row Adam Frampton lost the ball forward over the line.

On 62 minutes the home side killed the game off when centre Tyler Morgan took the ball on the Whites’ twenty-two and powered towards the line, beating three tackles to score. O’Driscoll converted.

Mathew Davies spotted a gap in the Newport defence and swept the ball out wide but replacement fly half Cameron Clement was wrapped up in the tackle and lost the ball forward.

Try number five for Newport came after 69 minutes when Leadbeater threw a pass to Hewitt who took a crash ball and bounced out of a tackle to score. O’Driscoll converted.

Newport hit the 50-point mark when Frewen intercepted a pass inside his own twenty-two and raced home to score under the posts. O’Driscoll converted.

Jenkins used his pace to score a consolation try for the All Whites when he beat two tackles on the wing. Nicky Thomas missed the conversion.

Full time:-   Newport   52   Swansea   28

Attendance: 1,150

Star man: Elliot Frewen

Referee: Ben Whitehouse

Newport scorers:

Tries:-   Rogers (12), O’Brien (22), Pattison (33), Morgan (62), Hewitt (69), Frewen (73)

Cons:-   O’Driscoll (23, 34, 63, 70, 74)

Pens:-   O’Driscoll (5, 40, 47, 49)

Swansea scorers:

Tries:-   N Thomas (7), Pailor (36), Jenkins (76)

Cons:-   S Davies (8, 37)

Pens:-   S Davies (2, 15, 43)

Y cards:-   R Hughes (49)


Newport team:

15 Geraint O’Driscoll

14 Ashton Hewitt

13 Tyler Morgan (rep: Dan Robinson 70)

12 Dom Franchi (rep: Lewis Robling 49)

11 Elliot Frewen

10 Matt O’Brien

9 James Leadbeater (rep: Andrew Quick 70)

1 Dai Pattison (rep: James Monck 70)

2 Dale Rogers (rep: Nathan Williams 70)

3 Gethin Robinson

4 Adam Brown

5 Adam Frampton

6 Sam Waldron

7 Craig Attwell (rep: Ollie Griffiths 64)

8 Lee Beach


16 Andrew Brown

17 Nathan Williams

18 James Monck

19 Ollie Griffiths

20 Andrew Quick

21 Lewis Robling

22 Dan Robinson

23 Dafydd Rosser


Swansea team:

15 Nicky Thomas

14 Andrew Claypole

13 Aled Jenkins

12 David Watts

11 Richard Williams

10 Sam Davies (rep: Cameron Clement 61)

9 Jake Cole (rep: Justin James 64)

1 Tom Sloane (rep: Nicky Smith 51)

2 Paul John (rep: Scott Otten 58)

3 Aled Mason (rep: Ryan Thomas 74)

4 Teaghan Price (rep: Joe Millen 63)

5 Rhodri Hughes (rep: Tudor Hughes 74)

6 Sam Pailor

7 Mathew Davies

8 Dan Baker


16 Scott Otten

17 Nicky Smith

18 Ryan Thomas

19 Tudor Hughes

20 Joe Millen

21 Justin James

22 Cameron Clement

23 Jedd Evans

By Paul Hopkins


Attendance: 1167

Official : Ben Whitehouse (Wales)

Newport Swansea