2012/2013 British & Irish Cup
Swansea 8 v 17 Quins
12 January 2013 - St Helen's, Swansea
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Swansea 8 Carmarthen 17


Carmarthen kept alive their slim hopes of qualifying for the latter stages of the British and Irish Cup with a hard fought win over Swansea at a windy St Helen’s.


After a largely uneventful first 20 minutes the Whites were the first to threaten when flankers Matthew Davies and Rob Dudley-Jones started a counterattack, but fellow back row man Dan Baker was unable to take the pass and the promising move broke down.


A huge kick by Nicky J Thomas, aided by a strong easterly wind, was not dealt with by the Carmarthen defence as they held onto possession in the tackle. Nicky J Thomas kicked his side into a three point lead.


The visitors began to wake up when good work in midfield by prop Rob Evans and centre Rheon James saw fly half Jack Maynard chip through, but Whites scrum half Aled Lewis tracked back to defend.


Centre Alex Pickersgill threatened to score on the stroke of half time when he made a break through the middle, but the visitors were too slow to support him so the move broke down.


Half-time:-   Swansea   3   Carmarthen   0


It took Carmarthen just two minutes after the interval to get their first touch down when hooker Gethin Robinson and lock Haydn Pugh combined in midfield, before fly half Maynard dummied his way through the Whites’ defence to score a well taken try. He converted.


Pugh was sin-binned for killing a dangerous Swansea attack and the home side hit back with a Dan Baker try after a patient build up by the forwards. Nicky J Thomas missed the conversion.


The visitors retook the lead four minutes later with a Maynard penalty after a dangerous tackle by the home side. The Quins fly half had an opportunity to extend the lead with a penalty from halfway when the home pack infringed at the scrum but his effort fell short of the posts.


The Whites didn’t give up though. Baker and James McKenna both made powerful runs, but when they got the ball out wide, winger Jamie Thomas was bundled into touch five metres short of the line.


The visitors sealed victory with a last minute try for replacement Chris Banfield after Pugh orchestrated a breakaway and got the ball quickly out wide for the score. Maynard converted.



Carmarthen’s progress in the tournament will now depend on whether Dundee High can produce a shock win in Penzance. Next up for Swansea is a trip to Dundee High next Saturday, while Carmarthen host Cornish Pirates.


Full time:-   Swansea   8   Carmarthen   17


Attendance: 250

Star man: Haydn Pugh

Referee: Eddie Hogan O’Connell


Swansea scorers:


Tries:-   Baker (51)

Pens:-   Nicky J Thomas (31)


Carmarthen scorers:


Tries:-   Maynard (43), Banfield (80)

Cons:-   Maynard (44, 80+1)

Pens:-   Maynard (55)


Y cards:-   Pugh (50)


Swansea team:

15 Nicky J Thomas

14 Jamie Thomas

13 Chris Shelmerdine

12 Nicky Harwood

11 Rhys Williams

10 Cameron Clement (rep: David Watts 41)

9 Aled Lewis (rep: Jake Cole 80+2)

1 Matthew Norman (rep: Nicky Smith 61)

2 Ieuan Dobbs (rep: Scott Otten 61)

3 Nicky Thomas (rep: Ian Williams 68)

4 Ben Fox

5 Sam Kiley ©

6 Rob Dudley-Jones (rep: James McKenna 68)

7 Matthew Davies

8 Dan Baker


16 Scott Otten

17 Nicky Smith

18 Ian Williams

19 John Barley

20 James McKenna

21 Jake Cole

22 David Watts


Carmarthen team:

15 Rhys Thomas

14 Dylan Morgans

13 Alex Pickersgill

12 Rheon James

11 Jason Harries

10 Jack Maynard

9 Rhodri Wells (rep: Huw Rees 66)

1 Rob Evans

2 Gethin Robinson (rep: Ricky Guest 66)

3 Trystan Davies (rep: Adrian Laxton 66)

4 Haydn Pugh

5 Carwyn Jones

6 Sion Bennett (rep: Chris Banfield 77)

7 James Davies

8 Luke Joseph (rep: Rory Gallagher 64)




16 Ricky Guest

17 Rory Gallagher

18 Adrian Laxton

19 Ian Jones

20 Huw Rees

21 Chris Banfield

22 Darren Daniel



Attendance: 250

Official : Eddie Hogan-O’Connell (Ireland)

Swansea Quins