2010/2011 Principality Premiership
Swansea 57 v 7 Wanderers
22 March 2011 - St Helen's, Swansea
Glamorgan Wanderers

Match Report

Swansea 57 Glamorgan Wanderers 7

Swansea eased past bottom side Glamorgan Wanderers with a convincing 57-7 victory in a match that ended 15 minutes from time due to the Wanderers’ pack suffering too many injuries for them to continue.

The home side scored the first try inside the opening two minutes when Sam Lewis powered through the middle and was supported by the pacey Leigh Bevan who sent James Dixon over for a try. Dixon also converted. Two minutes later Ben Fox drove his way through the visitors’ defence with Hanno Dirksen then firing out a scoring pass to Barry Davies. Dixon failed to convert.

A scintillating break by Bevan almost resulted in a third try but Dixon was held up over the line by a dogged Wanderers defence. Then it was the turn of Rhys Jones to make a break but with one man to beat his pass to Davies was deemed forward.

Outstanding pace by hooker Alun Rees split the visitors’ defence and he found the lively Lewis who fired the ball out wide for Dixon to grab his second try, which he also converted. Ceri Llewellyn looked to have scored for the Ely side but his try was disallowed due to a forward pass.

Good work by Llewellyn and prop Gareth Tedstone drew in the Whites defence and they were penalised for killing the ball. The visitors opted to take a scrum five from which flanker Reuben Tucker was driven over for a try. Tomas Marks converted.

Dixon extended Swansea’s lead with a penalty goal after the Wanderers’ forwards piled into a ruck from the side. Three minutes later Fox took a routine lineout and Dixon fed Dirksen on the crash ball for his side’s bonus point try. Dixon converted.

Dirksen threatened to score after running through most of the Wanderers team before he was finally tackled into touch on the twenty-two. On the stroke of half time a chip and chase by Dirksen almost created another try but full back Owen Marshall tracked back to clear.

Half time:-   Swansea   29   Glamorgan Wanderers   7

It took Swansea just two minutes to register their first score of the second half when Tom Morgan and David Blyth made hard yards before Andrew Clatworthy sent a clever inside pass to Bevan who sprinted in to score. Dixon converted. Superb work on the floor by Rees saw Lewis and Rhys Jones combine to send Dixon over for his hat trick of tries. He also converted.

Glamorgan Wanderers finally put together another promising attack, orchestrated by Ed Morris, but Marks’s pass sailed over the touchline. Try number seven came through James Bija who bashed his way over from close range. Dixon converted.

Dirksen had the final say with an interception try from within his own half which Dixon converted and five minutes later the referee blew for full time early.

Next up for Swansea is a home Swalec Cup match against Newport while Glamorgan Wanderers entertain Bedwas in the Premiership.

Full time:-   Swansea   57   Glamorgan Wanderers   7

Referee:-   Huw David

Attendance:-   200

Swansea scorers:

Tries:-   Dixon (2, 17, 50), Davies (4), Dirksen (29, 60), Bevan (42), Bija (58)

Cons:-   Dixon (3, 18, 30, 43, 51, 59, 61)

Pens:-   Dixon (26)

Glamorgan Wanderers scorers:

Tries:-   Tucker (23)

Cons:-   Marks (24)


Man of the match:-   James Dixon

Swansea team:-   15 B Davies  14 Rhys Jones (rep: L Hathaway 54)  13 H Dirksen  12 J Garland  11 L Bevan  10 J Dixon  9 R Wells (rep: P Tucker 65)  1 L May (rep: Roy Jones 55)  2 A Rees (rep: R Clancy 61)  3 A Clatworthy  4 B Fox  5 D Blyth (rep: T Penry-Ellis 46)  6 T Morgan  7 S Lewis (rep: J Bija 50)  8 S Jones

Glamorgan Wanderers team:-   15 O Marshall  14 R Budina  13 E Jones  12 J Sullivan (rep: M Burley 8)  11 C Llewellyn  10 T Marks  9 T Rowlands (rep: T Cronin 50)  1 G Tedstone  2 R Prosser  3 M O’Leary (rep: M Thomas 53)  4 R Thomas  5 A Luff (rep: M Sheppard 40+5)  6 R Tucker (rep: E Morris 40+1)  7 N Hampson  8 D Crimmins (rep: A MacDonald 9)

By Paul Hopkins

Official : Huw David (Wales)

Swansea Wanderers